Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:56:40 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        marcel@cup.hp.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux application

Hi:

Thanks for your explanation.  I have a few questions.

The handbook says that Linux binaries have to be "branded."  Your
description doesn't say anything about that.  I am really just interested
running my program(s) on my FreeBSD system (4.0-RELEASE) that uses the API.
If my program(s) run "native" or under linux emulation is a secondary
concern.  I am not specifically developing linux applications.

With that said, if the API binaries are linked in, it would seem logical
that I would then then have to develop "under Linux" as you outlined -- but
wouldn't I need to "brand" the programs that I develop? (If they are not
branded, I would think that they would then only run under the linux
"development" shell.)  And, if the API is implemented with *shared*
binaries, couldn't I just "brand" those and develop my programs under
FreeBSD?

Also, I know that I have the Linux compatibility installed (I did that when
I installed the system and I am running Linux Netscape and Star Office), but
how can I know if I already have linux_devtools installed (I may have
installed it, I'm not sure)?

Your remarks lead me to believe that as long as I am working in a "linux
shell" I am developing under linux, otherwise I am developing under FreeBSD.
  Please let me know if this assumption is not correct.

Did you specifically mention C/C++ because that is what is supported by
linux_devtools? Do I have to have be running the Linux versions of other
languages (e.g. Java) if I want to use them for development under the linux
shell?  (The API that I am working with is implemented in both C/C++ and
Java)

Thanks for your help.

John