Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 12:47:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Portland F90 and Linux Emulation, some beginner's problems

Dear Sirs.

I try a bunch of Fortran Compilers (F90/F95 Standard) for Linux. At this
moment I got the newest Portland Group F90/HPF suite (R 3.2-2). Formerly
I tried version 3.1-2 and I have had some succeeds, but now I run obviously
in some kind of "misconfiguration" malfunction but can not evaluate what's
going wrong.

When compiling a f77-testsuite pgf90 run into this error message:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot open /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.7.2.3/crtbegin.o: No such file or directory

I found out that there is only egcs-2.91.66 in this folder. Well, while not exactly
sure what to do I simply set a link to this folder ln -s egcs-2.91.66 2.7.2.3. Then
I restarted compiling and now it seemed t owork, until this error message occured:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot open /usr/local/pgi/linux86/lib/event_init.o: No such file or directory

event_init.o is located in /usr/local/pgi/linux86/lib-glibc212 (there are some other
library folders, lib-glibc211 and lib-glibc20, but they are also not searched). In
etc/ld.so.conf I added the appropriate search path, but ld does not look for it. Maybe
it's related to the ecgs/gcc 2.7.2.3 problem?

Well, at first this seems to be a minor problem, hope to get rid of it and see whether the
compiler works under FreeBSD or not. Please help! All hints and tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-
MfG
O. Hartmann