Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 2000 14:23:45 +0100
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux emulation and memory leaks

I'd like to draw your attention to a problem report I sent in a while
back, namele Problem Report kern/22826 "Memory limits have no effect
in linux compatibility":

As it turns out (see the above URL), it is not quite obvious that this
has anything to do with linux emulation per se, being more of a
problem with the vm code in the freebsd kernel.  However, I have
discovered a new fact that *may* point to an emulation problem:

As I state in that problem report, Acrobat Reader version 4.05 just
gobbles loads of memory, typically growing by a couple of megabytes
for each page visited, if I select a zoom factor to make the page as
wide as the screen.  This can go on until the machine runs out of
virtual memory, unaffected by rlimit settings.

The curious thing is that the same program runs fine on real Linux,
never growing beyond 19 MB in one test I ran.

This happened with the very same binary, but of course it may be that
the problem lies with a version of the runtime libraries in
/compat/linux/ on my freebsd machine.

Before I invest lots of time and energy into investigating this
phenomenon in more detail, has anybody else run into this problem, or
have any thoughts on it?

- Harald