Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 12:08:53 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Andre Albsmeier <andre@akademie3000.de>, Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ccd with other filesystems

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 12:04:53PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday,  1 October 2000 at  2:28:09 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Greg Writes:

snip

> >> I think this is a bug in newfs.  It should only create file systems on
> >> partitions of type 4.2BSD.  Does anybody disagree?  Otherwise I'll fix
> >> it.
> >
> > I have several systems, where the entirety of the disk (the "c"
> > partition) is mounted as a single file system.
>
> You can do it, but it's not a good idea.  I'd like to see a good
> reason for doing this.

This discussion seems to occur more often. I, for one, would be interested
to know what is so bad in using 'c' for a filesystem. Been doing it for
years now, never had any problems. After all, 'c' is just the whole disk.
I don't see the point in maken e.g. 'f' de whole disk and using that one.
If the reason is only because 'c' overlaps all other partitions: there is no
substitute for 'checking before doing' newfs.

In short: please clarify.

--
Wilko Bulte
wilko@freebsd.org 			Arnhem, the Netherlands