Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 00:31:30 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ijppp for isdn, ppp compression, and netgraph (also: load balancing)

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> >From the keyboard of Juergen Lock:
>
> >  And the other reason i'm looking at ijppp is ppp compression.  It
> > currently supports deflate (rfc1979) and predictor1 (rfc1978), which
> > should at least help if the other end is running bsd or linux,
> > but if your other end is something like an ascend or an external
> > router (zyxel, cisco(?), there are probably more that speak this
> > protocol), you'd want stac lzs (rfc1974), or if its a wintendo box
> > even you'd want M$' special version of that (yes of course they
> > invented their own `standard' again.)  So my question is, is
> > anyone working on this?  There is (alpha) code that does this on
> > linux,
> >
> >       http://www.ibh-dd.de/~beck/stuff/lzs4i4l/
>
> I've looked at that. Its very Linux-centric and i gave up for the moment
> when i realized how much work it would be to port it.
>
> Brian's ppp over i4b does support deflate compression and i get very
> good results out of it - too good to put more work into the above URL.
>
> > today...  impressive stuff.)  and is someone working on linking i4b
> > and netgraph?
>
> There will be a netgraph node interface which will link an i4b B-channel
> to netgraph. There are no plans from my side to netgraphify the D-channel
> part of i4b.

to add a negraph interface to the B channels should be quite easy.
If you need help I can prbably almost do most of it..

(I did look at it already some time ago)

when this is done the netgraph PPP nodes (which can support
 these compression types will be usable.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org