Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:23:57 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Ed Hall <edhall@weirdnoise.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-I18N@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Standard wchar_t functions missing

At 12:31 PM -0800 11/22/00, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>* Ed Hall <edhall@weirdnoise.com> [001122 12:28] wrote:
>  > We have a senior developer at Yahoo! who is complaining
>  > about FreeBSD's lack of support for wchar_t.  [...]
>  >
>  > Now, I've done a bit of digging in the FreeBSD archives,
>  > and discovered that Itojun and his group have announced
>  > that their support for wchar_t is ready for integration.
>  > This was a month ago--has there been any progress in
>  > getting this going?  Anything I can do to speed the
>  > process?
>
>Give me a url to the patches?
>
>:)
>
>The funny thing is that over a year ago I could have sworn
>I saw people almost completeing this project.  I'm going to
>dig around a bit and see what I can find.

The thing you're remembering is probably David Cross (RPI)
working on the wchar routines.  I *think* that what Itojun
has is David's code, plus some additional work.

It would obviously be nice to get this in.  Even if it is
not complete, the longer we go without it the more likely
someone is going to start from scratch because they won't
be aware of the work which is already done but not
committed.