Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 20:55:28 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Closing incoming access to private (and other) networks with ipfw (and running natd)

I'm not really sure where I should ask this question, since it's (at least
to me) both natd and ipfw related. I'm building a firewall with three
network cards (3Com xl ones), that routes both public and private networks
to and from the Internet. Natd works -- NICs on the segment routed
directly to the Internet sees traffic from NICs on private networks as if
it came from the IP of the NIC on the firewall on the same segment.

Now, my problem is not routing/forwarding on the firewall, nor network
address translation. I need to prevent incoming access to private networks
through the firewall (and be sure it really works :-)). I've tried
configuring natd with deny_incoming, but I can still ping IPs on private
networks through xl0 (which is the NIC on the Firewall routed directly to
the Internet). Now, that might be due to me using an extra alias on xl0
and routing through it. But I need to be able to block access from one
network to the other, and still be able to access the one network from the
other (and receive response to tcp/udp/icmp back with the same
protocol). I've tried accomplishing this with stuff like ipfw add n deny
all from any to 172.n.n.n in via xl0 and by using the
keep-state/check-state etc. stuff introduced in FreeBSD 4.0, with no
luck. :/ Either all traffic is denied (and I don't get replies back on
requests which goes the legal permitted way), or all traffic (including
unwanted) goes through. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Any help appreciated -- examples, ideas, whatever.

Cheers.

--
Anders.