Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 19:01:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hijacking DNS with ipfw

(I'm not a member of this list, so please cc me on replies. Thanks.)

I'm having what appears to be a fundemental problem, and I was hoping
somebody on the list might have an idea on how to proceed. As far as I can
tell from the archives, this hasn't been addressed.

I'm in a situation where I have customers with various DNS servers
configured. These customers are all behind a FreeBSD (4.0-R) box. The
FreeBSD box is running named (among other things).

I had thought that this rule would cut it:

ipfw add 10 fwd 127.0.0.1,53 udp from any to any 53 recv xl1

But that just doesn't work. I'm assuming it's because maybe named gets
confused because fwd rules preserve the dest IP (as fwd rules are intended
to be used in transparent cacheing).

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to approach this?

Thanks,
Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access