Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:47:28 +0200
From:      "Ari Suutari" <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        "Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group" <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW & IPsec tunnel mode

Hi,

I read them. But I think that the final solution cannot be
'well we will have a hole like this always since it cannot be fixed'.

I wasn't saying that I want a network interface device like 'tun',
I just wanted something similar that could be used with
ipfw to more accurately specify filters.

why couldn't we have something like:
(imagine that a new option -n has been addded to setkey's spdadd)

setkey -c << ZZZ
spdadd xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy any -n my-tunnel-1 -P in ipsec
esp/tunnel/aaa-bbb/requre;
ZZZ

and then

(imagine that new keyword via-ipsec-tunnel has been added to ipfw)

ipfw pass ip from any to any via-ipsec-tunnel my-tunnel-1

I think that this would just be, well, GREAT!
It would allow very easy creation of VPNs with simple rules
and without any holes.

    Ari S.