Date:      Sun, 06 Aug 2000 10:12:08 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux JDK on FreeBSD

>>On the other hand, if you would pay my boss to let me work on a JDK for
>>FreeBSD full-time, I'd love to hear from you.
>
>I doubt I could afford to single-handedly subsidize a European
>programmer salary, but I'd be happy to contribute a reasonable amount
>to a group effort.

Seriously, if raising money would push development along, I think that
there are many people and/or companies that would contribute.

I would think that WC/BSDi could be / should be a major contributor but
there are others (like Michael Robinson) who very much want to see
FreeBSD as a viable Java development platform.  That means 1) running
native, and 2) JDK parity with other platforms, 3) revising ports: all
ports (like postgresql, etc.) now support JDK1.1.8 by default since that
is the official JDK port on FreeBSD.

I am running a startup and we are expecting funding in late August/early
September.  I too, would be willing to contribute some time and $$ to
the "JDK1.3 in '00" effort.

John

P.S. "JDK1.3 in '00" would be a sucess if: 1) JDK1.2.2 is complete by end of
the year, and 2) JDK1.3 has a stable alpha.  Of course this process gets a
tremendous boost when 1) BSDi and/or Sun start providing code access,
support, resources, etc. and 2) a JDK1.2.2 Beta is released so that feedback
comes from a wider audience.

I realize that Greg, Nate, Kees  and everyone else involved are working
toward these goals - I think that all FreeBSD Java users are/should be
grateful for the work that the FreeBSD Java porting team has done/are doing.
  I also realize that money doesn't necessarily mean that things can get
done much faster (factors such as Sun license terms, corporate lethargy,
individual time constraints, etc. are intractable) but I think that if/when
raising a reasonable amount of funding would help the porting effort in a
big way, that should be identified and communicated.