Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:28:26 -0500
From:      Chris <chris@tourneyland.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to install collections port?

Hi all,

I just tried to install the collections port. Here's what happened:

bash-2.04# cd /usr/ports/java/collections
bash-2.04# make
===>  collections-1.1 You must manually fetch the distribution from
http://java.
sun.com/beans/infobus/index.html and place it in /usr/ports/distfiles then
run m
ake again.

Okay, so I went to the URL. It's the home page for Infobus, which means it
has a bunch of general information and doesn't have anything like "To
install the FreeBSD collections port, Go Here". It does have a link (well a
button, to be precise) to download the "JDK1.1 Collections package", but
that turns out to be a zip file. I've never really used gunzip, but when I
gave it the .zip file it complained about an unknown extension.

I'm assuming that all that's in there are a bunch of .class files (or maybe
some .jar's), and so at worst I could unzip them on a Windows machine and
copy them over. And I'm sure there's also either a well-known utility or
gunzip flag to handle zip's that I, being pretty ignorant about day-to-day
Unix stuff, should know about but don't. But that doesn't seem so great. Am
I in the wrong place? If not, isn't it odd that Sun offers only a .zip of
something, and no tar/gz? And why would there be a port that required me to
manually download files?

Querulous,
Chris