Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:34:15 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BOF at BSDCon: FreeBSD Installer, Packages System

The installer BOF didn't happen, purely because of
my own ignorance.  (I didn't know that all BOFs were
on Wednesday night, and hence didn't arrive until
mid-day Thursday.)

However, I did talk to a few people about the installer
and came up with at least one very concrete suggestion:

   The installer must be scriptable.

Since installer size is such a major concern, the
language needs to be something very compact to implement.
I know of three languages that have extremely compact
implementations: Forth, Lisp, and BASIC.  My favorite
is BASIC, because it's generally more accessible than
the alternatives.  If there's general agreement that
a BASIC-like langauge would be appropriate, I might
find time to whip up something in the next couple of weeks.

This also implies that the installer must
be very modular.  In particular, the major dialogs
need to be script language commands and the primary
logic flow needs to be controlled by scripts.  That
will allow people to completely override the installation
sequence.  Ideally, the script language would also
provide access to a collection of generic dialogs,
but I think that's less essential.  The primary use
for the scripting will be to eliminate dialogs
(automated installation), not to add new ones.

If anyone agrees this is a good idea, let me know.
I don't really have time to build code that nobody wants...

			- Tim Kientzle