Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:57:53 +0100
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DMZ/Routing setup - really could use your expertize on this one.

I have a little problem with routing it seems, it doesn't matter what I do
- I just don't seem to get it right. That's why I finally decided to turned
to the FreeBSD community for aid, as you have given me accurate advice and
guidance in the past.

In my effort to strengthen the security on our network I have decided to
implement some sort of DMZ approach to our public services - hence
abandoning the old setup with everything on the front computer and the rest
behind NAT.

We have been assigned these IP:s X.Y.X.66 - X.Y.Z.126 and the IP net is
defined as X.Y.Z.64/26.

Now the configuration I want to setup is something along the lines of:

CISCO ROUTER (X.Y.Z.65)
   !
   !
(OUTER NIC X.Y.Z.66)
 FREEBSD1
(INNER NIC X.Y.Z.67)
   !
   !
( ALL THE PUBLIC IP:s but one) (on an aliased machine - but could be more
in the future)
   !
   !
(OUTER NIC X.Y.Z.79)
 FREEBSD2
(INNER NIC 192.168.1.?/24 via NAT)
   !
   !
(THE INNER NAT:ED NETWORK)

for now I have only struggled with the first part of the network
(CISCO,FREEBSD1 and PUBLIC IP MACHINE) and have neglected the "back" part
of the network. But I still can't seem to get it to work. Is there any
helpful soul out there that might give me some hands-on hints, example
confs/routing files - or better yet .. tell me how to accomplish this?

Thomas Uhrfelt