Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 01:42:39 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        CyberSniper <wrath@shianet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Off topic, sorta: home RJ-45 wiring

CyberSniper wrote:

> the kit to do it:
> http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=DTK1462&blind=no&cat=datacomm
>
> extra wire in case you're running wire to the moon:
> http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=DBC1838
>
> you'll also need to acquire an outlet/switch box for each wallplate, a 3/8"
> drill and a 3/8" to 1/2" paddle bit to drill the holes.  if you bought some
> phone wire/video wire/cat5 staples it'd look more professional.  you can do
> all of it with time and a little ingenuity, especially since you have a
> crawlspace and an attic to work in.
>
> i've never seen an electrician that was qualified to run data cables step in
> a house for under $500.
>
> some things to consider:
> don't coil excess wire.
> don't kink or run a staple through the wire(if you bother to secure it).
> keep wire atleast four inches away from power lines

Make it a foot, just to be sure.  When you cross power lines, cross at
90 degrees.

> keep wire atleast eight inches away from transformers like doorbell
> transformers and fluorescent light ballasts.
>
> someone mentioned a site that explains how to terminate a pass through and a
> cross cable.  maybe they could repost?

The only pass-through I've ever used is a 1/4" drill bit 14" long.  Drill
all the way through the wall, being careful to avoid power wires, remove
the drill motor from the bit, tape the cable to the end of the drill bit
with masking tape, and pull the cable through.