Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:05:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Notes on mkflash

Warner, thanks for this.

Might be a while before I can do anything with it, being too broke and
busy to even put a new box together at the moment, but it looks neat!

Dare I ask, at a tangent ..

I've some hopes of one day beating something like the old labpc driver
into shape to support at least some functions of my old ACL-812PG card
(ADclone's PCL-812PG), which I've so far managed to run in polling mode
off a (virtualised) system timer interrupt in an OS/2 DOS box, in Turbo
Pascal rendered from ADclone's crappy example C DOS drivers, no less :-)

My C experience is mostly readonly, but I can follow it and have (still
after 30 years) a reasonably good head for hardware coding of underlying
devices.  Getting a driver going for access at say a perl or rexx level
would be really handy for some environmental monitoring (weather mostly)
projects that have lingered on the backburner for some years here - and
using CF with a not-so-pico -small system is looking like the go ..

Is the labpc the only vaguely similar sort of driver for ISA AtoD sorts
of cards that I might use as guidance?  Might it still likely work as is
in a freebsd -3 or -4 environment?  An URL or two would be real handy ..

Cheers, Ian