Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:34:40 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Itty bitty boxes dislodge PCs?  (No longer RMS)

Ahh - if you may remember Pascal was specifically _written_ to be
a toy "teaching" language, not a development language.  I had the misfortune
to be force-fed a number of terms of Pascal while chasing a CS
degree and I grew to heartily hate it's ugly syntax and requirements
which basically forced you to write the program backards, because
the human mind doesn't think like a single-pass compiler.  I was
doubly pissed because the year after I got done with all the 200-level
courses, the college dumped Pascal and replaced it with C++.

The misguided fools that actually _used_ Pascal for mainframe programming
got what they deserved, IMHO.

As far as C++ displacing C, we all knew that was a rediculous argument.
C++ was developed as an adjunct language to C, not as a replacement.  It
solves different problems than C does.  Both are just as popular today.

>> just as your never going to see a special-purpose PC (like a
>> webTV box or a Sony Playstation) dislodge the general purpose desktop PC.
>
>Dislodge the PC from what?  Sales numbers that are a couple of orders of
>magnitude SMALLER than the market for Playstations?  Gee, thats a market
>to go after.

The Intel-based variation of The IBM PC has been around for 20 years now,
and shows no signs of disappearing.  It's going to still be here long after
all the
Playstations are dislodging Pong games from their place in the bin at
Goodwill.
In terms of Total sales over the life of the product, what people have made
from the sale of PC's simply dwarfs what they have made from the sale of
Playstations.

The Playstation may have had some significant impact on the computer games
market, but it hasn't had the fundamental impact on our lives that the PC
has had.