Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:15:29 GMT
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD in Munich Germany

Maybe some people might like to forward this to those who collate
magazines etc:

BSD user group `Berkeley In Munich' http://bim.bsn.com just finished
a week running a BSD stand within Linuxpark at "Systems 2001"
in Munich Bavaria Germany.  There were also stands within Linuxpark
for Gimp, Kde, Apache, Debian etc.

We provided Free Net & Open BSD 1st CDs in exchange for beer or
ice cream or the price thereof, to lubricate exhibitors dry throats
(those repeat questions dry one out).  We avoided wasters who just
collect anything by Not giving media out for free (except to research
students & real developers etc).  We handed out free leaflets &
advice & mini demos, & told them where they could buy full CD sets.
We could not sell T shirts or pins etc, as local law forbids sales
at trade shows !

Federal German Ministry for Business & Industry (BMWi) sponsored
Linuxpark, but Germany (or at least Messe Muenchen GmbH) still
encourages smokers to pollute all exhibitions halls, bars, snack
bars, by providing large pedestal ash trays everwhere  - very trying
on the throat & brain, especially if one is allergic to tobacco
smoke.  It was impossible to breath clean air while exhibiting :-(
UK & USA are healthier to exhibit in I hear.

Julian
J.Stacey	Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Independent Consultant
 Reduce costs to secure jobs: Use free software: http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/free/
 Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !