Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 02:02:25 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: Breaking up make.conf

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:49:30PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > Also, the previous patches don't include bsd.own.mk, which we depend
> > on being included to define OBJFORMAT.  So I backed that part of them
> > out.
>
> Rather than all this funk, why not do what the Ports Collection does --
> have its own bsd.*.mk file.  So make it that /usr/share/bsd.*.mk all
> include /etc/world-make.conf, and sys.mk does not.  Thus if I am just
> using BSD make, but not all its bsd.*.mk frame work, I won't get bogus
> CFLAGS settings.
>
> I.E., lets assume /usr/share/mk/bsd.*.mk is the domain of /usr/src only.

The main reason is that make.conf often needs to be included before
parsing Makefiles, or at least at the start of Makefiles, but most
Makefiles include bsd.*.mk last.

The ports .mk files configure paths much better than sys.mk.  They
use ${PORTSDIR} but sys.mk hard-codes 3 absolute paths in /etc.

Bruce