Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:42:33 +0100
From:      Peter Lowe <pgl@plig.net>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing oracle 8.1.7 under freebsd

Hello!

I'm having some problems installing oracle 8.1.7 under freebsd 4.3.
I can get the installer to start (-thank- you Ms Stacy Millions), but
when I click "Next" after it's finished loading, a little window
comes up saying "Loading products list", gets to about 30ish%, and
bombs out with the error:

        There was a problem in accessing the staging area.
        Please make sure the specified values for "Source" and
        "Destination" are valid.

This is using the defaults in the source and destination fields.
If I change the destination field to "/home/oracle" from the default
"/home/oracle/OraHome1", it asks me where I want to put the oraInventory
directory to store the list of oracle products installed, but still
comes up with the above error.

I thought it might be mtab file, but I've triple checked and I'm fairly
sure it's the right format. Here it is, just in case:

[mini:oracle]:~/src/Disk1 $ cat /etc/mtab
/dev/ad0s1b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/ad0s1a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/ad1s1 /data msdos rw 1 1

I've read all the documents I can find, and I can't see what I'm doing
wrong. Has anybody had this problem and managed to get round it?

regards,

Peter Lowe.

--
This is not the signature you are looking for. Move along.