Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:36:29 +0800
From:      Rex Luo <rexluo@synology.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   quick question: softupdate - metadata logging & data logging?

Dear,

  Sorry to not survey thoroughly, and maybe someone can give me some information
quickly.

  Since Filesystem logging can be 3 common forms:(Solaris interinals Core Kernel
Architecture Jim Mauro. Richard McDougall)

  1. Metadata logging -- logs only file system structure changes
  2. File and metadata loggging -- Logs all changes to the filesystem
  3. Log-structured file system -- The entire file system is implemented as a log

  I remember I have seem on mailinglist that FFS with softupdate has similar
function as journal filesystem. What kind of journal filesystem it can be?
or I am totally wrong.

Thanks

--

 -- Rex Luo