Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:10:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mike.wentz@3ware.com, val@picturetrail.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage

On 19-Aug-01 Mike Smith wrote:

> Firstly, I would like to thank Nicole for giving me a chance to offer her
> some informed information and suggestions before going public with this
> slam.  I'm glad I was able to ... well, no, actually, I didn't hear jack
> about this until now.  Pity.

Frankly I'm not sure what suggestions could do to help with this.
The failures have been often enough across such a varied array of equipment
that narrowing to one thing would be difficult at best.

>>  OK.. I tried.. I really liked the 3ware stuff. At first all of our
>> troubles seemed to be directly traceable to my usage of IBM DTLA drives.
>> But now after replacing abt 16 IBM drives..  I am still dealing with the
>> 3ware card droppin g out drives like rain.
>
> This is a known feature of the card; it will drop drives when the error
> count for the drive gets too high.  Typically, this only happens when you
> have bad sectors on the drive; hitting a bad sector a few times a day
> will eventually drive the error counter too high and drop the drive.
>
> I don't like it; I've been trying to talk 3ware out of it, but the real
> fix is rather subjective.

 But just dropping the drive from the array seems to not be the answer. I mean
hell, I had 3 hot spares... The final hot spare never even had a chance to pop
in as two drives on the same plex dropped at once.

> In your case, though, this doesn't look like the problem.  I'd be very
> suspicious of your data cabling (you are using the cables that came with
> the controller, right?) and power supply.  10 drives is way more than
> your average box can power, especially if you are working them hard.

 Yup, cables that were supplied by 3ware. In 3 2 or 3 different cases and power
supplies. Each were 300 or 400 watt power supplies.

> More details here would help narrow the problem down.
>
>>  I have had it. There are no driver issues here, there is no FreeBSD issue
>> here, its all 3ware and can IDE drives really take abuse at all like that in
>> a database server or even a very busy picture server.
>
> They can, actually.

 Well just as I like Maxtor drives becouse (up till now) I have had little
failures with them, I know others who hate them and claim they suck.. becouse
their luck with them has been poor.  Your Milage May Vary.

> You know perfectly well that there are other people out there that aren't
> having these problems beating these cards up.  You know that 3ware and I
> are both interested in fixing anything that's wrong.

 Thats nice, wanna come to AboveNet in San Jose tonight and join me?
 Maybe wake up some 3ware people and ask them to donate their weekend?
 I am the one having to deal with this stuff on a Saturday night, AGAIN!

> So why are you crying in public about it, when you could be getting it
> fixed?  This doesn't do anyone any favours. 8(

 Becouse AGAIN my weekend is shot becouse of this. Our site is down and I am mad
as hell and deeply frustrated. How can I have faith in something that has
split in my face so many times?

  Nicole

> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> ... every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his
> rivals and unfortunately opponents also.  But not because people want
> to be opponents, rather because the tasks and relationships force
> people to take different points of view.  [Dr. Fritz Todt]
>            V I C T O R Y   N O T   V E N G E A N C E

   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  nicole@unixgirl.com           http://www.unixgirl.com/
  webmistress@dangermouse.org   http://www.dangermouse.org/
  nicole@deviantimages.com      http://www.deviantimages.com/