Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:59:25 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Jonathan Graehl <jonathan@graehl.org>
Cc:        freebsd-Arch <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode, command line options, and configuration files, oh my!

People, there is an freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org for a reason.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:48:49PM -0800, Jonathan Graehl scribbled:
| How much change would be needed to have a Unicode-capable FreeBSD system?

A lot. and a lot more.

| Supposing the variable-length encoding is used, all existing text output,
| filenames, and string-based kernel interfaces should be compliant (although not

No, they are not that easy.

| capable of understanding multiple-byte-char input/output); would command line
| options be passed as byte-strings by a Unicode-capable shell?

No.

| There doesn't seem to be any impetus to systematically adopt Unicode (especially
| the fixed-two-bytes-per-char variant, which for most cases would simply double
| the storage/bandwidth requirement), although there are user-applications which

Not that easy :) Trust me.

| operate on multibyte text.  I am sure that by now admins and programmers in
| country XYZ are used to working with ASCII and pseudo-English (no matter how
| inconvenient it might be to generate from their keyboards).

It is the "assuming" part that got us in this I18N dilemma.

[snip XML]

I really do not think using XML is the way to go, too much crud.
The K.I.S.S. principle should prevail here, especially in kernelland.

| Parsing of command line options (and positional parameters) is also largely
| ad-hoc.  Looking through /usr/src, I see that for the most case, it consists of
| a getopt loop with hand-coded cases, a hand-written usage string, and a
| hand-written man-page-usage.  Much like the XML DTD, it would make sense to
| generically specify (to the extent possible, and with user-defined code to the
| extent not) the syntax and semantics, and generate variable definitions,
| parsing/checking code, usage(), man page synopsis ...  While it would be

Do you realize that this means a rewrite for the 300mb of the
src/ that we have now?

| possible to have an expressive grammar for command line options, typically
| the -opts are order-independent, and there are only a few positional parameters
| (or else you put the mess into a configuration file).  There are a variety of
| packages out there, which I am seeking opinions on, not having tried any of
| them:

[snip *freshmeat* stuff]
I have looked at those, not suitable, and they are GPL.

| any others?
|
| ifconfig seemed to have one of the more enlightened-looking option parsers (an
| array of parameter information processed in a loop, rather than a bunch of

Because it needs to parse many many things.
But why do you need so called "smart" parsers when you only have one or
two options to parse?

| hard-coded cases) out of several FreeBSD programs I examined ... are there any
| other good examples?

ipfilter.

| It's also amusing to see how many different ways various servers in the tree can
| open a configuration file (path read from command line), write a pid file (path
| read from command line), daemonize, read an IP address/hostname and port (read
| from command line) and listen there, mask nonfatal signals, relinquish

It happens in a large code base.  However, to rewrite all of that
takes many many man-hours.  I really do not think we are up to that.

| priveleges - although I appreciate that different servers want to do things
| slightly differently.  Naturally, each of us is easily able to reuse our own
| code (preferably by libraries/macros/#include rather than copy/paste), but I
| think that there is a lot of common configuration/command-line code that could
| be coalesced behind a good-enough-extensible interface that we could reuse code

Glad to hear that people care about I18N.