Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:56:46 +0000
From:      Clem Dye <clem@bastet.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help! What am I missing trying to get ISDN4BSD to play?

Help! I’m having great fun trying to get ISDN4BSD working on my system.
My apologies in advance as this is a longish post, but I seem to be
thrashing about at the moment, trying to get something to work.

After sitting for ages in this list, I finally recently got around to
installing FreeBSD 4.1 on my system, which dual-boots with Windows 2000.
Under Windows 2000 I have a BT Speedway aka AVM!Fritz PCI ISDN card
working OK, summing both ISDN channels together for a 128K connection to
my ISP, The Direct Connection (a UK-based ISP).

To get things rolling I downloaded i4b-00.96.00-beta-101000.tar.gz and
unpacked it, as per ‘The Care and Feeding’ document. Mistake #1 was to
try and do a ‘make depend’ to compile the userland programs – this
failed all over the place. However, by running the overinstall.sh script
then re-trying, all went well.

My first question is: where are the files with a BACKUP extension
located, as I’d like to delete them, to avoid confusion.

I then went ahead and generated a new kernel, as per the instructions.

Second question: is it OK to see odd warning messages during the kernel
recompilation process (not related to ISDN4BSD) – just an observation,
more than anything else. Oh, and why do most of the ISDN4BSD entries
need to be quoted in the kernel config. file?

The system re-booted on the new kernel and I could all of the new ISDN
devices, as documented.

I then generated my /etc/isdnd.rc file. Here’s what I arrived at after
trawling through the documentation:

system
acctall		= on
acctfile	= /var/log/isdnd.acct
useacctfile	= yes
monitor-allowed	= yes
monitor-port	= 451
monitor		= "/var/run/isdn-monitor"
monitor-access	= fullcmd
monitor-access	= channelstate, logevents
monitor-access	= callin, callout
monitor		= "999.99.99.9" # Address of another W2K box on my network.
monitor-access	= restrictedcmd, channelstate, callin, callout
ratesfile	= /etc/isdn/isdnd.rates.UK.BT
rtprio		= 25
beepconnect	= on

entry
name			= I4BPPP
usrdevicename		= isp
usrdeviceunit		= 0
isdncontroller  	= 0
isdnchannel		= -1
local-phone-incoming	= 99999999999	# My ISDN phone number here.
remote-phone-incoming	= *
local-phone-dialout	= 99999999999	# My ISDN phone number here again.
remote-phone-dialout	= 99999999999	# Phone number of my ISP.
remdial-handling	= first
dialin-reaction		= reject
dialout-type		= normal
direction		= out
b1protocol		= hdlc
idletime-incoming	= 240
idletime-outgoing	= 30
ratetype		= 0
unitlength		= 90
unitlengthsrc		= rate
dialretries		= 3
dialrandincr		= on
recoverytime		= 25
usedown			= off
downtries		= 2
downtime		= 30
idle-algorithm-outgoing = var-unit-size
idletime-outgoing	= 300

I then prepared the simple script as per the documentation to start the
link:

ifconfig isp0 delete -link1 down
ispppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=none
ispppcontrol isp0 myauthname=<my ISP username>
ispppcontrol isp0 myauthsecret=<my ISP password>
ifconfig isp0 0.0.0.0 <my ISP IP address> netmask 0xffffffff link1 debug

Things then went down hill from this point.

Whenever I ran my little script, I always got the following message from
ifconfig:

ioctl (SIOCAIADDR): File exists

although I could still see my entry by issuing an ifconfig or ifconfig
isp0.

Thinking that possibly the start-up process needed to be re-done, I
rebooted (yeah, sorry, but it’s a looong time since I’ve used *nix boxes
in anger, and you get so used to bouncing Windoze boxes to fix things).

The re-boot gave pretty much the same results.

I then tried running isdnd with the –f flag. If barfed with the message
‘Can’t find holidayfile, /etc/isdn/holidays’ (or something very much
like it).

I’m clearly missing something major here, but at present I don’t have a
clue. So, to the questions:

1) What I am missing/not doing?
2) Do I have to do something extra, as my ISP has assigned me a static
IP address.
3) Under Windows 2000 I can specify a second [fall-back] number for my
ISP if the first is busy. How do I do that?
4) How do I bond both channels together so that when I dial (if I can
ever get something working!) I always get a 128K link?
5) Where to I specify the addresses of my ISP's DNS servers?

Your patience is appreciated. Any help would be greatly and gratefully
received.

Clem Dye

PS: Sorry if this message is badly formatted.