Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 19:48:09 +0300
From:      Juha-Matti Liukkonen <jml@cubical.fi>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AVM B1/T1 support available in FreeBSD's isdn4bsd

Hi again,

Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> I have just committed a CAPI driver (see http://www.capi.org/) and a
> hardware driver for the AVM B1 and AVM T1 cards to FreeBSD-current
> (and will make a 4.x-stable update-procedure available in the next days).

Regarding the update procedure, could I coax you to modifying the
overinstall scripts a bit to be more cross-compilation friendly? By this
I mean specifically:

* allow overriding of $R_UNAME and $OSRELDATE (because the target source
and build host may not be the same revision)

* honor $DESTDIR (which may not be /) and $SRC (because kernel sources
may not be in /usr/src)

* do not remove/create device nodes if $DESTDIR/dev does not exist (or
perhaps if $DESTDIR/dev/i4b does not exist, leaving the installer
[person] to run MAKEDEV manually).

This naturally stems from the fact that our *BSD build is based on
different FreeBSD version than what our build hosts are running (both
are x86 and 4.x though, so they are mainly compatible, at least until
5.0 comes out and the servers get upgraded :-)

>> This really is not a big deal <<, but would be nice (we'd get rid of one special-case patch from our build system) and hopefully encourage others (port builders) to consider cross-compilers as well. I could put together a new FreeBSD overinstall.sh addressing these issues if you'd like.

This is actually a considerable pain when trying to build ports for a
specific target environment -- too many makefiles and build scripts use
un-overridable `uname` to determine the target system, and so on... I
haven't yet come across a upgrade-friendly solution I would be
comfortable with in the long run :-P

Cheers,
	- Juha

--
Juha-Matti Liukkonen, Cubical Solutions Ltd
Phone: +358(0)405280142