Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 12:11:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple FreeBSD shaper questions :)

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Andy Dills wrote:

> better than ipfw. You should try both before comitting to the $600 he
> charges. The guy who runs Etinc is an asshole of legendary proportions,
> just search inet-access archives.
>
> Andy

Just another data point, not to debunk Andy's opinion as we are all
entitled our own. But, I've never had any problems with Dennis. Great
products, we still have some in our network eventhough we've standardized
on Cisco (hardware costs less than experienced unix networking people,
IMHO). Dennis's stuff works and works well, but you have to be at a
certain level to be able to use them and receive the small amount of help
the experienced unix professional might need. Touchy warm, fuzzys are not
included in the Etinc purchase price. The people who tend to complain
loudest about Dennis are those who don't know how to hack the kernel or
properly set up a *nix-like box to route. Most people see a very low cost
alternative to build a very powerful router and get in over their heads
trying to make it work--it's more like miss-matched expectations than
a poor company or person at the helm.

Those with personal grudges against Dennis may wish to debunk my humble
opinion. Flame on.

--jeff

Jeffrey A. Lynch		| JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
email: jeff@jorsm.com		| 7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
Voice: (219)322-2180		| 100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com	| Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com		| Serving Gov, Biz, Residential Since 1995