Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:18:48 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /tmp files

> On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 07:31:20PM -0600, Chris Byrnes wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, I was checking around in /tmp and found this stuff.
> >
> > Any idea why it's there?
>
> You interrupted a buildworld at the wrong phase.

ITYM installworld.  From Makefile.inc1:

<quote>
installworld:
        mkdir -p ${INSTALLTMP}
        for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep \
            install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl \
            test true uname wc zic; do \
                cp `which $$prog` ${INSTALLTMP}; \
        done
</quote>

(${INSTALLTMP} is set earlier to /tmp/install.<pid>)

I suppose it's possible that buildworld does something similar, but
then why would installworld re-do it?

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org