Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:10:27 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Paul Murphy <paul@earth.upton.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sharing out /usr/src and /usr/obj

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Paul Murphy <paul@earth.upton.net> types:
> > On August 18, 2001 10:12 am, Damage wrote:
> > > On Server "A" I would like to NFS export /usr/src and /usr/obj for the
> > > purposes of making world on servers B,C,D, etc.
> >  I've done it and it works fine.
>
> Ditto.
>
> > > would have to do is run 'make installworld', mergemaster, etc.
> > > I am curious how people are doing this with success, what steps you took,
> > > and what caveats there are (if any) in doing so.
> >  One note: mergemaster needs write access to /usr/src to create a sendmail
> > config file [sendmail.cf I think].
>
> One serious non-obvious gotcha: /usr/src must be mounted on the same
> name *after* you've resolved all the symlinks. The same may need to be
> true for /usr/obj; I haven't tried.

I finally ended up creating small /usr/src and /usr/obj partitions on my
dual 866 coppermine system. What I found was that the paths have to be
identically to what was used during the build. I can nfs mount them then
as /usr/src and usr/obj.

Kent

> Watch out for differences in /etc/make.conf that might cause things to
> screw up if it changes between build and install.
>
>         <mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>                      http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com
http://daily.daemonnews.org/