Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 08:59:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Subject:   Re: Bad block - is my drive toast?

Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com> wrote:

> Attempting to look at the grown defect list with camcontrol yields
> an error (it's an IBM Deskstar. I guess defects are top secret with
> those).

If you add -v to camcontrol, you would see there isn't actually an
error. ;-)  Ken recently fixed a braino in camcontrol that made defect
list reading impossible, so make sure you use the latest version.

> Can anyone think of anything to do other than go buy a new drive (which
> I'm likely to do anyhow)?

Try camcontrol format, this always reallocates bad blocks.  If
formatting doesn't complete, the drive is toast for sure, otherwise
it's probably still usable for quite some time as /tmp, /mp3cache or
/usr/obj. :)