Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:21:09 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD PR

Hello,

Once upon a time, we had an unofficial Public Relations person.  This
person handled all things related to FreeBSD PR.  That person has
since laid down most of his Project responsibilities and, while he's
still kicking around, he's no longer doing any public relations work.

I think we need to get a serious effort rolling on public relations
for FreeBSD.  After some discussions with other assorted FreeBSD
folks, it seems that several others agree.

Some of our corporate sponsors do promote FreeBSD, and I for one
appreciate that.  But Daemon News, FreeBSD Mall, or anyone else,
cannot speak for "The FreeBSD Project."  Only we can do that.  And we
can only do that if we become organized, develop a team and a charter,
and request the proper delegation of authority from the committer
body.

We no longer have anyone to answer questions such as "How many FreeBSD
users are there?"  This is an important question.  As a "FreeBSD Face
Man," I get asked it all the time.  And I have to pull a number out of
the air.  This is bad, because it gives the impression nobody knows
how many users there are.

Also, press releases are a fact of life in promotion.  But the Project
no longer issues press releases, because we have no PR person.  Heck,
*anything* is worth a press release.  Fine-grained locking in the
network stack?  KSE?  Those represent a lot of work, and nifty
features, and we don't freaking *tell* anyone about them!  Press
releases get covered in the press, which means articles in the press,
which means free promotion, coverage, and, ultimately, users.

Some teams do make announcements, mind you.  For example, re@ does an
excellent job with their announcements on new releases.  I'm curious
if they're distributed to "The Press," however.  They might well be.
But we, as a Project, need to know if they are or not.

We could also use a set of FreeBSD presentations and scripts for these
presentations.  I've been asked to speak about FreeBSD before, and
always had to whip out MagicPoint and cobble something up myself.
There are people out there who are much better at these things than I,
however.  I would love to see, say,
/usr/ports/promotions/freebsd-embedded, that included a MagicPoint
slide show and a script for speakers to audiences interested in
FreeBSD's strengths in that particular area.  (OK, a port is going too
far.  But this presentation should be as easy to get and install as a
port.)  Right now, to find a presentation to promote FreeBSD I have to
go to Google and find something someone else used.

What do you folks think?  Do we need a PR team, or should I go back to
playing Freeciv?

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org