Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 14:34:44 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Why don't we search /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include by default?

I've just had a question from some friends in the Linux space about
why we install additional libraries in /usr/local/lib and their header
files in /usr/local/include, but gcc by default only searches
/usr/local/libexec and /usr/local/lib for libraries and /usr/include
for header files.  They think that this is inconsistent, and I tend to
agree.  What speaks against adding the /usr/local directories to the
specs files for gcc?

Greg