Date:      20 Oct 2002 13:34:49 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-chat@freebsd.org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: openpkg

Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org> writes:

> I was just reading SysAdmin article about OpenPKG, it says FreeBSD 4.x
> fully supports this package management system. I can't find any info on
> the FreeBSD web site. Any used it yet?

I started to try it a couple of days ago because it sounded like it
would allow me to install at least some software without having to run
installation scripts of uncertain trustworthiness (like most ports) as
"root", something that really bugs me.  OpenPKGs seems to support that
but it get off to a bad start by requiring you to run it's installation
software as "root"!  Oh well, I'll probably do it, but I'm still
investigating the situation.  They put up a silly, but more significant
hurdle by asking for 300 MB in "/", but I got around that by installing
off "/" and by first creating a /tmp/openpkg-1.1.0 link to somewhere
with enough room.  It was a long build, but completed OK as non-root.
Then you must run a script as root to finish up.

BTW, I recently tried to convert the entire /usr/local, /usr/ports,
/var/db/pkg scheme to belong to and run as local:local using
BINOWN=local and BINGRP=local, and it worked OK with some ports, but
there are just too many ports which insist on running as root.  (Not
that that scheme buys much security.)  The OpenPKGs people have
committed to working around such problems, but it's sometimes lots of
work, no doubt a contributing reason for their having only a few hundred
packages.