Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:22:00 +0000
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's momentum and future prospects

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:40:26AM -0500, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
| Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
| > I recently read that the new Mandrake licensing plans for commercial will
| > allow modification of the source without requiring they be released.  The
| > article remarks how much that is like the BSD license.
|
| ITYM this issue:
|    http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=186
| If so, (a) it's not about linux itself, (b) even so, you totally
| misunderstood him.

I guess I should have clarified that it only applied to the one Mandrake
specific product they are using as their flagship commercial product.  But
the point was that the reference to the BSD license once again reminds us
how fortunate we are we don't have to dance around this issue with BSD
products.  It's taking quite a while for Linux to develop a decent business
model that doesn't depend on hardware sales.  But as you mentioned, a
Linux/BSD or BSD/GPL debate is pointless.

| FreeBSD will survive.  Linux will survive.  Use what you like...

I guess I was just looking for the confirmation that BSD *does* have the
momentum to survive, as well as enough new 'technology' as MSFT would put
it, to make it a worthwhile alternative choice, not just an also-ran
alternative OS that is always playing catch-up.  And from the other

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.