Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 05:41:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Terry Kennedy <terry@tmk.com>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Read-only access to repository w/ cvsweb 2.0.5?

  I'm trying to upgrade from the original cvsweb 1.0 to 2.0.5, but I'm having
a silly problem when trying to view a revision or use the "download" option -
I get "Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs checkout: Sorry, you don't
have read/write access to the history file cvs [checkout aborted]:
/foo/CVS/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied".

  Oddly enough, all the diff commands work and I can view the entire revision
that way.

  This worked with cvsweb 1.0, and it obviously works when using other cvsweb
URLs on the net - for example, the cvsweb project itself, at:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/projects/cvsweb/

  The platform is BSD/OS 4.3, cvsweb is running as www.www, and the CVS
repository is owned by another user, but is all at least 755/644 for files
and directories. I really don't want to make the CVS repository writable
by the cvsweb user.

  I'm oviously missing something obvious, but I've been banging my head on
this for hours and haven't gotten anywhere, so I'm resorting to asking the
list.

        Terry Kennedy             http://www.tmk.com
        terry@tmk.com             New York, NY USA