Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:22:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soft update instability with heavy IO and offboard IDE controller

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Disable write caching on the drives.  THis is a FAQ.
> >
> > Hmm.  I thought the wc bit should only affect this sort of scenario in the
> > event that the system was actually powered off; otherwise, the hard disk
> > can still flush to disk gradually as it.  From the description, it seems
> > the system panics, but power is never removed from the drives.  That said,
> > I wouldn't be surprised if the problem goes away on the basis that this
> > will substantially change system behavior for performance reasons, hiding
> > whatever subtle bug it is :-).
>
> The drive lies about commiting data to stable storage.  This blows away
> all the hard work soft updates does trying to ensure ordering.

Yes, but that failure is only exposed to the operating system if the drive
fails to actually write the data, which to my understanding, occurs only
when there is a power loss to the drive.  Otherwise, that inconsistency is
never exposed because the drive guarantees that the data eventually makes
it to the disk, and the version of the data exposed to the operating
system is consistent with the operating system's expectations.  In the
submitted scenario, it sounded like there had been a panic and a reboot,
but that the power had never been shut down to the drive.  In that
scenario, I would expect that the drive would present a consistent view to
the OS on start-up, suggesting that the software failure involved in the
panic might have been involved in generating the inconsistencies, or that
there is a softupdates bug (the suggestion of the submitter).  I.e., I
don't think write caching is involved in this particular instance.

I have to say that my answer on the ATA write caching is a UPS. :-)