Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, mux@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Retrieving filesystem-specific mount parameters from the kernel

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20021005064810.GF26530@trit.org>, Dima Dorfman writes:
> >[ rwatson cc'd because I want him to be aware of this possible abuse
> >  of extended attributes. ]
> >
> >It is occasionally desirable to display filesystem-specific mount
> >parameters in the output of mount(8).  For example, it would be useful
> >if one could tell whether an NFS mount was tcp or udp, v2 or v3, etc.;
> >likewise, it would be useful if one could tell which ruleset is
> >associated with a particular devfs mount.  This kind of information is
> >traditionally included in 'struct statfs', but this doesn't scale well
> >(since it requires breaking the ABI whenever we add a new filesystem)
> >and doesn't work at all for third-party filesystems.  I propose for
> >the filesystem to export this information via an extended attribute
> >(idea courtesy of Boris Popov).  This is entirely backwards and
> >forwards compatible, and is easy to implement even in third-party
> >filesystems.
>
> I am not at all thrilled by this.
>
> First off, mux@'s new mount facility is very flexible and extensible to
> when it comes to mount options, and none of the information you mention
> above are unable to use that facility, in fact it could be argued that
> they should specifically use it.
>
> Second, I think this is simply not the kind of information which
> extended attributes should be used for.  Extended attributes are used to
> store additional administrative information about a particular vnode,
> not to report how the vnode is used or configured.

I tend to agree -- without nmount(), extended attributes might very well
be the best way to export this information.  However, with nmount(), we
now have the ability to export arbitrary mount meta-data using a flexible
interface, and that's probably the way we should be handling NFS
mountpoint meta-data.  That said, we definitely need this general
capability: we just don't get enough useful information out of the current
information export interfaces.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories