Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:06:43 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Seeking beyond EOF on SCSI DDS tapes

Idiot that I am, I managed to overwrite the beginning of an important
tape backup with a small quantity of other data.  The backup is on a
DDS-4 cartridge, a total of 31 separate files containing about 35 GB
of data.  It's clear that the first one or two files have been
overwritten, but after that the original data is still on the tape,
and since it's in separate files, it should be readable--*if* I can
get to it.  All positioning commands that I know stop after a double
tape mark.  Is there any diagnostic command which can get beyond the
double tape mark?

Greg