Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:26:34 +0100
From:      Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   EFI loader problems

I'm having some trouble getting the EFI boot loader to work.  The
firmware isn't being very helpful about giving proper error messages
either.  I basically get:

   TSize.
   Load of XXX failed: Not Found
   Paused - press any key to continue

which is also what Marcel Moolenaar reported on this list back in
November.  According to tcpdump the whole image is indeed transferred,
and copying the image to a local disk and booting it from there does
not help either.  I therefore do not belive that tftp is causing the
problems.

I also tried compiling the loader (and libstand) with -DUDP_NO_CKSUM
but this didn't help.  If I tried compiling a "hello world" image
using the gnu efi library things worked fine, however.  Does anyone
know if the firmware for some reason refuses to boot images exceeding
a given size or something stupid like that?  Does anyone have any
other idea of what the problem might be?  I would also be grateful if
someone could provide me with some precompiled loader image.

Oh, by the way, my hardware is a single CPU HP i2000, and the EFI boot
manager tells me that its version is 1.02 [12.36A].  I'm using gcc
3.0.3 with a CVS version of binutils (binutils 2.11.2 seems to be
broken for IA-64).  -STABLE is my development platform.

If someone's interested I've created some ports for an IA-64 cross
building toolchain (http://i30www.ira.uka.de/~skoglund/ia64/).  Note
that binutils 2.11.2 is broken, though, but installing a later
snapshot (or cvs version) on top of the installed binutils port works
fine.

	eSk