Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 01:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, "K.Sumitani" <ksumitani@mui.biglobe.ne.jp>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some help needed for booting ia64 under SKI/NUE

--- Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> wrote:
: Aarrgghh. The new GCC emits object files with OSABI set to FreeBSD (=9).
: Linux ski only knows about SysV (=0) and HP-UX (=1). Linux uses SysV
: and we used that too before the new GCC.

: I'll see if we can create object files with OSABI equal to SysV...
: I have to get back to this later,

Yay!.  I re-discovered some-problem. 8-)

> > Temporary solution: brandelf -f 0 skiload.
> > Brandelf on 4-STABLE works.

> Yes, this is the simplest solution and it works on -current as well.
> I don't expect we can create SysV objects at all. I haven't looked
> though. I'll commit a change to the makefile when I have a moment
> again...
>
> BTW: I fixed this problem for me in a completely different way and
> forgot all about it (I fixed ski :-) I guess I didn't realize I
> wouldn't be the only one that would see this...

Oh cool.  I think fixing Makefiles will be a much better solution rather
than fixing  ski.  We could just add a target to the makefile, that when
it cross-build's for ia64 and USE_SKI=yes is provided, then it should brand
the resulting binaries as ELF Type 0; because I dont think this problem
occurs at all when using "real(TM)" ia64 machines. ;)

> Thanks,

Thanks.  I will try this method out soon!. ;)  Assuming that the above
method works, how would the kernel find the mountroot device;  do I have
to make a vnode-backed device or is that un-neccessary?

I apologise for asking too many questions.  We definitely need an FAQ for
this project done. (I). :-)

Regards.

  -- Hiten
  -- <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>