Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:14:05 +0100
From:      "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dummynet, ipfw and ADSL bandwidth throttling....

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C354.8D5A3A21

I have an adsl connection serving my home lan.

I've got my freeBSD firewall working for me quite well and my
NAT/Firewalling rules work just the way I like them.
I do however have one issue with ADSL itself which I hope can be
rectified with BSD.

The adsl connection I have is 512kb down and 64kb up.  The problem
starts when I try and upload at the full 64kb.
My Downloads crawl to a halt.

I am not technical (At least not with ATM etc...) but I have read that
the problem lies with the fact that if you are using all the upload
bandwidth, then a download cannot send control packets fast enough and
hence it slows down as well....

The fix that has been suggested is that you limit your bandwidth with
software so that the upload only uses 90% of the link.

This solution would work well if you have an FTP server or something you
can manually set the upload limit to, but what I'd like to do is use BSD
to enforce limits a little smarter.

Basically I am wondering if DummyNet has a facility to limit per IP or
Protocol.  Perhaps someone has seen this problem before and knows of a
better way to solve it.?

-D
-----------------------------------------------------------------=0A=
ATTENTION:=0A=
The information in this electronic mail message is private and=0A=
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you=0A=
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that=0A=
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this=0A=
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by=0A=
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or=0A=
opening it.=0A=
=0A=
Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.=0A=
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the=0A=
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.=0A=
Always scan attachments before opening them.=0A=

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C354.8D5A3A21

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.0.4712.0">
<TITLE>Dummynet, ipfw and ADSL bandwidth throttling....</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have an adsl connection serving my =
home lan.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I've got my freeBSD firewall working =
for me quite well and my NAT/Firewalling rules work just the way I like =
them.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I do however have one issue with ADSL =
itself which I hope can be rectified with BSD.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The adsl connection I have is 512kb =
down and 64kb up.&nbsp; The problem starts when I try and upload at the =
full 64kb.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">My Downloads crawl to a halt.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am not technical (At least not with =
ATM etc...) but I have read that the problem lies with the fact that if =
you are using all the upload bandwidth, then a download cannot send =
control packets fast enough and hence it slows down as =
well....</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The fix that has been suggested is that =
you limit your bandwidth with software so that the upload only uses 90% =
of the link.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">This solution would work well if you =
have an FTP server or something you can manually set the upload limit =
to, but what I'd like to do is use BSD to enforce limits a little =
smarter.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Basically I am wondering if DummyNet =
has a facility to limit per IP or Protocol.&nbsp; Perhaps someone has =
seen this problem before and knows of a better way to solve =
it.?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">-D</FONT>
</P>

-----------------------------------------------------------------<BR>ATTE=
NTION:<BR>The information in this electronic mail message is private =
and<BR>confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should =
you<BR>receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified =
that<BR>any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of =
this<BR>message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender =
by<BR>reply transmission and delete the message without copying =
or<BR>opening it.<BR><BR>Messages and attachments are scanned for all =
viruses known.<BR>If this message contains password-protected =
attachments, the<BR>files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING =
mail domain.<BR>Always scan attachments before opening =
-</BODY></HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C354.8D5A3A21--