Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:26:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Giannis Nikopoulos <nikop@zeus.cs.uoi.gr>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Load balancing with NATD

Hello everybody !!!

I 'm just a new member of both the FreeBSD world and this list
so I hope you will bare with my ignorance.

This is the problem:

I have a FreeBSD 4.5 running as a router between the outer world and
a private network (192.168.0.0) of 3 servers. I use natd to handle
traffic between the outer world and the PN. My goal (as part of a simple
university course project) is to perform load balancing among the 3
back-end servers. I 've written down a load balancing algorithm, that
uses reporting agents running on the 3 servers and reporting their load
on a central coordinator running on the FreeBSD router. The question is:

How can I use natd (or maybe another tool, say ipfw or some proxy, I don't
know) in order to dynamically dispatch (redirect) incoming connections
among the 3 back-end servers. As far as I can tell, natd performs redirection
(along with address translation) but in a static way (correct me if I 'm
wrong, I 've already explained I 'm new to this stuff).

Is there any I way I can instruct natd to selectively choose to which server
it will redirect a connection by applying a set of rules or I will have to
hack into natd's source code.

I don't know if I should have provided more feedback on this case but or be
a little more specific. Can anyone help ?

Thanx in advance

--
Ioannis K. Nikopoulos
Postgraduate Student and Reasearcher