Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 09:22:06 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network backup

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:07:18 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.isp you =
wrote:

>archive grew over gig or so in size, it errored out on me). Dump is a
>mess to work with, it doesn't work with directories nor with single
>archive file. You need to keep creating new dumps using different
>backup levels and I don't know how you will restore files for x user
>using all those little dumps when you need to efficiently.

Dump will work with a single archive file per level. Yes, it does work on=
file system basis and not directory, but your generally want a level0
backup of your entire system anyways. Its also very efficient for =
restoring
the odd file from the archive file. restore -i -f <filename> and its MUCH
nicer to work with than tar this way.  If you keep 5 levels of =
incremental
dumps, yes, you will need to do this potentially for 5 different files, =
but
still works as expected. We do something like this

/sbin/dump -0uanf - /usr |gzip -9 | ssh
remoteuser@backupserver.example.com dd
of=3D/home/targetdir/root-server-al0.gz

	---Mike