Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:18:52 -0500
From:      Glenn Becker <chexmix@burningclown.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ignorant networking Qs

> The /etc/defaults/pccard.conf entry defines which link type it
> uses by default;
>
> # 3Com Etherlink III 3C589, 3C589B, 3C589C, 3C589D
> card "3Com Corporation" "/3C589/"
>         config  auto "ep" ?
>         insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start -link0 link1
> #       insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start link0 -link1
>         remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop
>
> These should probably be changed to 'media foo' options, though.
> Either way I've never had a problem with 3c589s and 10bT, it's just
> worked out of the box which is why I use them to network install
> machines so often.

Subsequent ignorant Qs ... I replaced what turned out to be a faulty
dongle and have networking working like a charm from the Slackware
Linux side of my lappy, but cannot for the life of me get the thing
working out of FreeBSD.

I've edited /etc/rc.conf both by hand and tried to use the
/stand/sysinstall utility to get it right.

I've got the correct values in /etc/resolv.conf

1) What specifically (if anything) needs to be edited in
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf? 'Cause I can't see it through a blinding
headache this ongoing problem has caused ... :( What is meant by
changing them to 'media foo' options?
2) How do I -get rid of- the lp0 interface which I mistakenly added in
/stand/sysinstall, thinking it was 'loopback'?
3) Why do my routing tables (as viewed with netstat -nr) steadfastly
refuse to be populated with the right stuff?

Sorry, I know some of these are vague ... I'm in pain ...