Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:45:31 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   interrupts from pcm(4) while no sound is being played

I have just found something strange: there are interrupts accounted to the
pcm(4) device while a process keeps it open just after playing a sound.
For example:

  cat flush.au - > /dev/audio

That command sends "flush.au" to /dev/audio followed by stdin. Using
"systat -vm 1", I can see about 62-64 interrupts per second while playing
the sound and also *after* playing is finished and cat(1) is waiting for
input. I also noticed the same effect with esd, but with different
interrupt rates (depending on the sample format and rate of the last sound
played).

I can reproduce the effect with an ESS Maestro/2E, a CMedia CMI8738, and a
Creative CT-5880 (I have no other sound hardware available for testing).
All systems are running FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE.

Is that the expected pcm(4) behaviour?

Cheers,
JMA
--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **