Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:07:46 +0100
From:      Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
To:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
Cc:        BSD NET-List <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd restart

Am 27.01.2002 um 00:41:23 schrieb Rogier R. Mulhuijzen:

Hi Roger,

> What sort of changes are you talking about here? Maybe there's a different
> way of going about it.

I want to move an existing network from 91.0.0.0/8 to 172.16.0.0/16.
Furthermore name resolution changes from wins to dns and dhcp is no longer
used.
The whole story has to take place during normal operation and I can not
enter a gateway on any machine.
It will take ~2 weeks and there are ~100 computers.
I thought of using FreeBSD/ipfw/natd and two nics. One nic is in the
91.0.0.0 and the other in 172.16.0.0. Whenever a computer moves from 91.0.0.0
to 172.16.0.0 I define his old IP as alias on the freebsd-box. Natd forwards
packets to the new IP.
In the same way I define any IP of not-yet changed computers as alias on the
172.16.0.0 nic of the FreeBSD box. Name-Resolution should not become a problem
because in the "old" net, wins stays active and in the "new" net I setup
the dns.

So I must add/delete/change natd rules frequently.

I did never do such a thing before and I did not find any information how it could
be done. If there are any books/webpages/whatever which cover the issue I would
be glad to know.

tia

/ch

--
"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly.
It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with."