Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:04:47 +0800
From:      Igor M Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   patch -- An ingress filter (RFC2827)

Hello!

I'd like to know your opinion about this patch

  http://www.morning.ru/~poige/patchzone/ingressfiltering.patch

which is mine attempt to implement an ingress filter being inspired by
RFC2827 "Network Ingress Filtering: Defeating Denial of Service Attacks
which employ IP Source Address Spoofing".

  (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2827.txt)

It should be mentioned IMHO that this code makes another one in ip_input.c a
kind of redundant -- I mean code checking/blocking the 127/8 network "on
wire". BTW, I suggest if not removing it completely then adding (sys)logging
into, -- 127/8-spoofing certainly should be logged. :)

Another thing to pay an attention to: I deem it'd be better if a such filter
was built-in into ip_fw.c, allowing such syntax for ipfw(8):

  deny log ip from any to any in via fxp0 spoofed

But AFAIS in ip_fw.h:

#define IP_FW_F_IN      0x00000100
#define IP_FW_F_DME     0x40000000      /* destination = me */

#define IP_FW_F_MASK    0x7FFFFFFF      /* All possible flag bits mask */

and u_int32_t       fw_flg;

there is no free space for any additional flags...

So, I was a bit unsure whether should I expand fw_flg to u_int64_t, and do
any other extensions. For now I decided just to wrote something like a
draft, test it (it seems to be working ;), and asking you, people, for your
comments/ideas on it.

P.S. A bit more info on this patch is at http://www.morning.ru/~poige/patchzone/

--
Igor M Podlesny a.k.a. Poige