Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:00:30 +0000
From:      Simon Siemonsma <s.siemonsma@hccnet.nl>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which intrusion detection to use?

I have a FreeBSD box at home which I primairily use for internet access.
All unneccesary deamon's are switched of (I have inetd turned off) and I make
use of IPFW.
To even increase the security more I want to add a few things:
1.	software that warns me when I'm under attack. I understood snort is a
Network based Intrusion Detection System (NIDS), so not usefull on a host.
What are the alternatives on a host? I did read about portsentry but don't
understand what the added benefit it over a tightly configured firewall. I
mean I use statefull packet filtering, allowing connections to be build up
from me to the internet and not the other way round. Further my ports are
stealthed.
2.	software which will detect that I'm hacked. Tripware is a well know name,
but AIDE clames to do more. Integrit claimes to be simpler and focus on the
essentials.

Does anyone have some recommendations for me.
Other recommendations to increase my security are also welcome?