Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:59:35 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   moving GEOM around...

A number of people have suggested that the directory layout of GEOM
sources should be changed.  The main complaint seems to be that sys/geom
contains both subdirectories (bde) and source files.

I personally don't particularly care about that, and as a matter
of fact wasn't even aware that was a rule, but if a significant
number of people think this is wrong I'm willing to repo-copy things
around and fix it, therefore this strawpoll:

Option 1:  No change

Option 2:
	sys/
		geom/
			infra/
				geom_io.c
				geom_event.c
			bsd/
				geom_bsd.c
			mbr/
				geom_mbr.c
			sunlabel/
				geom_sunlabel.c
			gbde/
				g_bde.c
				g_bde_crypt.c

Option 3:
	sys/
		geom/
			infra/
				geom_io.c
				geom_event.c
			class/
				# contains methods implemented in a single
				# source file
				geom_bsd.c
				geom_mbr.c
				geom_sunlabel.c
			gbde/
				# classes implemented in multiple source
				# files get a subdirectory of their own.

Straw votes in private email please...

I'll draw whatever concensus opinion I can from the emails I get,
and then I'll send the proposal to cvs@ who may at that time shoot
it down as unnecessary repo-bloat.

Poul-Henning

PS: I'm not inclined to entertain a long bikeshed on this issue,
on the more general topic of source tree re-layout and the need for
a democratic process for determing the location of all future files
in our cvs repo.