Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:25:09 +0100
From:      Tim Hawes <thawes@althusius.net>
To:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install Trouble

I am a newbie in the FreeBSD world, but an old hat for Solaris and
Linux. I have an Intel box with Windows 2000 and Linux already on it. I
shrunk my Windows partition to allocate about 16 GB for a new FreeBSD
install. I have installed FreeBSD on VMware several times in the past,
so this is my first non-virtual install.

The install completely halts shortly after it shows the "Probing
hardware (this may take a while...)" message. I look at vt1 to see what
debugging messages are there. I notice that it stops right after finding
the /dev/cua devices (serial devices???).

The console is not locked, I can switch back and forth from vt0 and vt1
without trouble. It is just stopped.

It did this to me with both FreeBSD versions 4.8 and 5.1

This is a Walmart Os-less PC I bought just over a year ago. I am no
hardware guru, and I am not sure what info is pertinent, so tell me what
I need to tell you to help me.

Best regards,

Tim Hawes