Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 15:06:21 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support for CXD1847A controller?

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-C1F ("Picturebook") running FreeBSD-4.7-STABLE and
would like to know if there's any chance of its firewire port working with
FreeBSD 5-CURRENT. I haven't actually installed 5.1-BETA yet as I'm trying
to avoid toasting an otherwise very stable platform...  but I really *do*
want to hook up an iPod :-)

At bootup it reports:

chip2: <Sony CXD1847A FireWire Host Controller> at device 9.0 on pci0

and from pciconf -lv:

chip2@pci0:9:0: class=0x0c0000 card=0x8009104d chip=0x8009104d rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Sony Corporation'
    device   = 'CXD1947 i.LINK FireWire PCI Host Controller'
    class    = serial bus
    subclass = FireWire

I've pulled down the source for 5.1-BETA and this doesn't seem to be
mentioned in fwohci_pci.c - the only Sony chip is the CX3022 (ID 0x8039). On
the other hand there is a generic test for PCIS_SERIALBUS_FW +
PCI_INTERFACE_OHCI so maybe it will work.

One other question: I notice certain bits of code bracketed by

#if __FreeBSD_version < 500000

and a quick check shows that there's firewire code in 4.8 - would you say
that the firewire code in 4.8 is usable, or would I be better off installing
5.x ?

Cheers,

Brian.