Date:      Sun, 11 May 2003 14:06:12 +0200
From:      Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        "Yevmenkin, Maksim" <Maksim.Yevmenkin@cw.com>
Subject:   Re: USB link cable?

Bernd Walter wrote:

> I really doubt that the udbp driver is guilty of this.
> An USB driver has no chance to break a device permanently by accident
> unless it has a very broken design.
>
> What does FreeBSD tell you now on probing the device?

The working end results in:

ugen0: Prolific Technology Inc. PL2301 Host-Host interface, rev 1.00/0.00, addr 2

The kaputt end results in:

ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
ugen0: detached
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1

Linux is a bit more elaborative on error reporting:

hub.c: new USB device 00:02.3-1.1, assigned address 5
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=5 (error=-32)
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.3-1.1, assigned address 6
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=6 (error=-32)

It looks really as if the IO drivers on this end are burned.
Unfortunately the device is one of those melded in soft PVC kind of, so
I can't open it for further investigation. Hmm I may try anyway with a knife
out of couriosity... It certainly started during the experimentation
on the BSD side. But I did feed all data through udbp0: and never used
ugen0 devices.

It's really just a bit curious now.